Monday was football press conference day at Ole Miss and Mississippi State, and with the season kicking off this week, let’s give FOOBAW the lead treatment today.
What do we learn today?
• We learn that Hugh Freeze and the Ole Miss offense are eyeballing Boise State’s defense with a degree of uncertainty, like that new dog that just strolled into the neighborhood and looks sweet but might have a go at your ankles.
• We learn that Rebel QB Bo Wallace is brimming with confidence. Of course, he hasn’t thrown any interceptions yet.
• We learn that MSU coach Dan Mullen still loves playing games against in-state opponents, especially when they’re overmatched.
• And we learn that the Bulldogs have selected three co-captains for this season. “O Captain, my co-Captain!”
• The state’s test scores for last year took a dip, which was expected due to the change in curriculum. I’m interested to see how students do with Common Core, which I think will be either a great success or an unmitigated disaster.
• Despite the curriculum change, scores in Tupelo and Lee County remained flat. OUR KIDZ IS SMARTER THAN YOUR’N.
• Harold D. Scruggs was charged after engaging officers in a stand-off for five-plus hours. Check that mug shot. Dude looks like a real winner.
Follow the Daily Journal on Twitter, @DJournalnow, for news updates throughout the day. And you can follow me if you wish, @bradlocke.