Daily Wrap 3.26.14: Biz dudes, beta kids, best blogs
Wrapping up the day that was from DJournal.com and elsewhere.
• Driver hits 4 police cars in late-night chase – No, Robert Sisco, that’s not NASCAR on line one.
• Cook of the Week: Evelyn Davis recipes – Mmm, chocolate oatmeal cookies. A yummy and healthy oatmeal cookie made into an even yummier but not-so-healthy snack.
• Patel named top small business person – Bruce Patel won an award and gave the ol’ “I can’t win without good players” speech. Coaches and business leaders, as we know, can be equally boring when they open their mouths.
• Beta boom: State convention brings 3,800 students to Tupelo – All those buses you saw in town this week? Students from all over the state. Yeah, Tupelo hosts the Beta and Junior Beta conventions EVERY YEAR. But we can’t host the state basketball tournament because I guess athletes don’t travel as well.
• Pick your own date – Gov. Phil Bryant signed legislation today that will allow local school districts to decide their own start dates. I’m sure tourism officials aren’t happy about this because casino owners aren’t happy about this, so I’m happy about this.
• Newk’s gets sold – A majority of the Mississippi-based company has been sold to a New York investment firm. I hope that doesn’t mean bagels are going on the menu.
• Patterson set to retire as BancorpSouth chairman – Rich guy gets to sit around and enjoy his richness.
Best of the Blogs
• Religious Freedom Act in limbo (Journal Politics) – Capitol reporter Bobby Harrison writes about the current status of a controversial bill.
• Video: The new guy (Inside MSU Sports) – If you haven’t heard from MSU’s new quarterbacks coach, Brian Johnson, check out the video from Logan Lowery.
• Rebel talkers (Inside Ole Miss Sports) – Parrish Alford poses an intriguing question: Which former Ole Miss players would do well in a TV booth? My vote is for Kentrell Lockett, all day long.
• Bad Charlotte – You can’t take bribes, which is why Charlotte’s new mayor is out of a job.
• Deadly Boston blaze – Two Boston firefighters died in a fire earlier today, and 13 others were injured.
Talk It Out
The final episode of “Psych” just aired, which makes me sad. I still miss “Breaking Bad,” too. So tell me: What TV show do you miss the most?