Daily Wrap 3.5.14: Suspensions, smooches and a comeback
Wrapping up that day that was from DJournal.com.
• Freeze doles out suspensions – Spring football is a time to start fresh, but the focus for Ole Miss on Tuesday was about the offseason misbehavior of certain players and the resulting consequences of said misbehavior. One player is gone for good, two more have been suspended, and another one could be suspended. Linebacker Denzel Nkemdiche is suspended for the spring, which honestly could be viewed as more detrimental to both him and the team than a one-game suspension (he got hit with that, too). He’s a huge part of that defense.
• Arena hits four-day attendance record – BancorpSouth Arena pulled in a record number of attendees to its last three events, and folks should keep flocking in the near future. You got SIR Elton John and Bill Cosby coming into town, not to mention the circus and the Elvis Festival tribute artist competition (yes, those last two are separate events). Tupelo: Entertainment capital of Mississippi. (I can’t actually quantify that, but it sounds cool.)
• Jason McKay fueled by love of his Bearcats – Jason McKay is a CRAZY MAN! Not really, he just acts that way during games, ’cause he’s got passion, man. And he wins a lot, so he can act pretty much however he wants. And he can kiss his wife full on the mouth whenever and wherever he wants. PICTURE OF THE YEAR:
You go, boy.
Plenty of news hit the mother ship today. Here’s a quick recap of what you might have missed.
• David Parvin trial, take 2 – The former Mississippi State instructor has been convicted once of murdering his wife, but he’s got a new trial, and opening arguments were today.
• Teacher pay bump – The Legislature kept the wheels moving on a proposal to give the state’s teachers a pay raise. Dems and Repubs all voted in favor, then held hands and sang “Kumbaya” afterwards.
• He’s baaaack – Speaking of the lawmakers, Rep. Steve Holland returned to the Capitol after a lengthy absence due to gallbladder surgery. Got a standing O! Man, all kinds of feels in Jackson today.
Best of the Blogs
• Get ready to stuff your face (Biz Buzz) – The Don’t Be Cruel BBQ Duel is set for next weekend. It boasts probably the edgiest BBQ poster ever. Certainly is disturbing. I mean, click the link and take a gander. Alls I’m saying is, Miss Piggy better keep an eye on Kermit.
• Too cozy with Cochran? (Journal Politics) – Mississippi State might have violated its own political policy by promoting U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran, who’s seeking, like, his 23rd term in office (approximately). MSU President Mark Keenum was Cochran’s chief of staff for 18 years, so…
• Back to football (Inside Ole Miss Sports) – Day 2 of spring practice for Ole Miss was more about the football. Got some Hugh Freeze video with it.
Talk it out
• Please, discuss this in the comments section below: Will someone actually be able to unseat Cochran this year?